Ambisonic UHJ encoded media
updated 18 days ago
List of Ambisonic UHJ encoded media - as per BBC/NRDC specifications.
This recordings should produce multi-channel surround sound, when decoded using UHJ decoder.
Note that a lot of items on this list have comments that start with "Needs checking". Unfortunately, it seems that increasing number of contributors on Discogs do not understand what a release attribute "Ambisonic" stands for. If unsure, please see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonic_UHJ_format
A bit of an oversimplification, but:
- if release mentions Ambisonic, but not UHJ, it *may* be an Ambisonic release, but this is unlikely.
- If it states "UHJ" it is highly likely an Ambisonic release.
- If it does not mention either, then it is highly likely NOT an Ambisonic release. (There are few known cases where Ambisonic recordings encoded using UHJ where released without being labeled as such, but there are less then 10 known to exist)
This list is about 95% complete and 95% accurate as of February 2020, with following exceptions:
1) I separately maintain a list of about 100 UHJ releases that are currently not on Discogs (excluding Nimbus).
2) About Nimbus releases: Most (but not all) are UHJ. Unfortunately, in there infinite wisdom, Nimbus decided not to let their customers know that until after the bought the product, and labeled it as UHJ ONLY on the medial itself (CD, LP, MC). Also unfortunately, a lot of contributors on Discogs can't be bothered with taking a picture of the media labels, or transcribing the labels. To make this matter even more bizarre, a search for "UHJ" on Nimbus web site returns.... Nothing. So wherever I could not find "UHJ" on Nimbus media I did not own personally, even if I know it is most likely UHJ, I did not add it to this list to prevent future confusion and errors.
To add to the issue, it seems that about 200 Nimbus releases are not yet added to Discogs.
So in all likelihood, there are about 400 UHJ Nimbus releases missing from this list.
3) There are probably about 50 releases on the list that are nery, very unlikely not UHJ, but I left them there simply because I could not find an factual reason to dispute this and add them to the "INCORRECTLY... " list (see below). These should have a comment reading "Need checking - UNLIKELY".
4) There is also about 100 releases that have just "Needs checking" (without UNLIKELY) that is more likely then not UHJ, but I could not find any exact proof of that. So some may not actually be UHJ after all.
See http://www.surrounddiscography.com/uhjdisc/uhjhtm.htm for additional notes and references.
For corrections and adding UHJ releases unknown to me, please send me a message on Discogs.
ANY RECORDING MADE BEFORE APPROXIMATELY 1970 CANNOT BE AMBISONIC AS THE TECHNOLOGY WAS NOT AVAILABLE TO MAKE THEM!
See also: List of definitively incorrectly labeled Ambisonic releases, that should have "Ambisonic" attribute removed: https://www.discogs.com/lists/INCORRECTLY-labeled-as-Ambisonic-recordingrelease/555758