Blue Note Pressing Guide For Contributors
updated 8 months ago
This list intends to provide fellow Discoggers with a quick reference guide for identifying US LP pressings of Blue Note releases and especially to help with release date approximations as well as navigating the format.
The releases on this list are organized chronologically from earliest to latest pressing and intend to provide concrete comparative examples.
The supplemental text identifies the potential chronological range each release exemplifies, identifying characteristics organized by physical location, and a workflow to aid submissions.
Useful Resources for submitting Blue Note releases:
Blue Note, London Jazz Collector website.
• A comprehensive guide for identifying pressings, cover information, release dates, and so much more.
Blue Note Records: A Collector’s Guide to Mono & Stereo, Deep Groove Mono website.
• Extensive database of release dates for mono and stereo first pressings.
Billboard Magazine 1936 to 2011, American Radio History website.
• Archive of PDF scans of Billboard Magazine issues. This is particularly helpful for approximating the release year for early 10" LPs.
• Forum - 8.1.1: How to approximate when year is unknown, but year range is known
• Forum - Blue Note LP Releases Clean Up
• RSG §6.13 Stereo
• RSG §6.17 Reissue And Repress
• RSG §8.1.1 Release Date
• RSG §4.7.3 Catalog Number Variations
• RSG §4.8.1 Multiple Catalog Numbers (see also RSG §4.8.4)
(Messages with constructive criticism, suggestions, and/or questions about this list are of course welcome!)