Gatefold reissue with blue Capitol labels and blue inner lyrics-sleeves.
"Target" symbol in sides A & B matrices identify this pressing made by Capitol Records-EMI of Canada Limited facility in Mississauga, which began production in June 1976. Owner bought this copy that year. The actual symbol includes a middle dot and a horizontal line divides the outer rings making the "O" into a "C."
Several forms of early Canadian SKBO-3404 gatefold releases have been observed:
The earliest cite Apple and use the Apple logo. Canadian identity may be doubtful. One Apple variant - The Beatles - 1967-1970
- includes "Distributed in Canada by Capitol Records (Canada) Ltd.
(p) 1973 Apple Records" in blue on the lower right gatefold interior.
The earliest Canadian Capitol releases present the copyright notice for Capitol Records-EMI Of Canada Limited
with the Target logo on the lower back cover. Other releases present this over six short lines running into the blue border. This release begins with the logo followed by four longer lines:
"Capitol" is a registered trade mark of Capitol Records Inc., manufactured in Canada by Capitol Records-
EMI of Canada Limited . . . 3109 American Drive, Mississauga, Ontario L4V 1B2 . . . (p) 1973 EMI Records Limited
LP Labels include:
- Manufactured in Canada by Capital Records-EMI Limited of Canada [across the upper periphery].
- (p) 1973 EMI Records Ltd. / Recorded in England [on the lower left].
Identifiers in some other releases not present in this release:
- No reference to George Martin as Producer (gatefold inside lower right)
- "Mastered by Capitol" of sides A & B not present on sides C &D; No mastering engineer markings.
- For track D4 most releases omit Richard Starkey's first name.
Tracks A1 to A7, B2, B5 to C1, C3 to C6, D2, D5 to D7 published by MacLen Music Inc., BMI.
Tracks B1, B3, B4 published by Comet Music Corp., ASCAP.
Tracks C2, C7, D1, D3 published by Harrisongs Music Inc., BMI.
Track D4 published by Startling Music Inc., BMI.
Two errors observed on this in-hand example:
- Used the same sleeve for both discs, so lyrics for sides C & D are not provided.
- LP Label track D6 identified as "Accross the Universe" [SIC]. No other examples of this typo were observed in all US and Canadian examples of SKBO 3404 examined in mid-2017.
Notes for Variant 2 edit:
All information from original submission is the same on the version on hand, including 4 line form of copyright notice on bottom right rear sleeve and misprint on LP Label track D6 ("Accross the Universe" (sic)), except for the different runout information on variant 2.
Different (correct) inner sleeve/lyric sheet provided for LP 2, with "SKBO 3404B" on bottom left hand corner.