- Compilation Producer – Aric Lach Morrison
- Compiled By [Selections] – Bill Brower (tracks: 1-10, 1-11), Gilles Peterson
- Coordinator [Design Co-ordination] – Nichell Delvaille
- Design, Art Direction – David Lau (2)
- Executive-Producer – Richard Seidel
- Illustration – Chung Deh-Tien
- Liner Notes [Sleeve Note Editor] – Peter Pullman
- Mastered By [At Polygram Studios] – Gary N. Mayo*
- Other [Special Thanks To] – Institute Of Jazz Studies
- Photography By – Chuck Stewart
- Photography By [Of Montgomery] – Lee Tanner
- Research [Audio Source Research] – Fernando Dos Santos
- Sequenced By [Tracks Sequenced By] – Bill Brower
2nd cat# on case sticker (with both logos).
CDs back-to-back in flip-open clear tray.
The vision that Norman Granz had for Verve Records dissolved once he sold the label in 1960. Creed Taylor was brought in and he took the company in a new direction - or new directions. The explosion of popular musics, from hard bop and Latin to funk and orchestral jazz, as well as their hybrid forms, was well documented on record at Verve.
On these two CDs you can hear the development of Latin jazz, from the seminal figure in Afro-Cuban music, Dizzy Gillespie, through his disciples, Willie Bobo and another offshoot, Cal Tjader. The great soul-jazz and funk progenitors are here, such Sixties giants as Donald Byrd, Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, and Jimmy Smith. And to add to the mix, there's a blues by Sonny Stitt, a swinger from Illinois Jacquet, a novelty number by Slim Gaillard, and pop classics from now-obscure artists Little Richie Varola and Marcos Valle.
Track 2.14 previously unissued.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Label Code: 0383
- Barcode: 7 31452 75042 6
- Matrix / Runout (CD 1, Matrix): 527 505-2 02 >
- Mastering SID Code (CD 1): IFPI L003
- Mould SID Code (CD 1 [& 'A' Stamp]): IFPI 01H7 A
- Matrix / Runout (CD 2, Matrix): 527 506-2 01 +
- Mastering SID Code (CD 2): IFPI L002
- Mould SID Code (CD 2 [& 'B' Stamp]): IFPI 0154 B
- Matrix / Runout (CD 1 & 2, Inner Ring): MADE IN GERMANY BY PMDC
- Distribution Code ([Below Barcode]): PY 898
Other Versions (5 of 5) View All
|314 527 504-2||Various||Talkin' Verve (2xCD, Comp)||Verve Records||314 527 504-2||US||1995||Sell This Version|
|314 527 504-2||Various||Talkin' Verve (2xCD, Comp)||Verve Records||314 527 504-2||Canada||1995||Sell This Version|
|527 504-2||Various||Talkin' Verve (2xCD, Comp)||Verve Records||527 504-2||Australasia||1995||Sell This Version|
|527 504-1||Various||Talkin' Verve (2xLP, Comp)||Verve Records||527 504-1||UK||1995||Sell This Version|
|314 527 504-2||Various||Talkin' Verve (2xCD, Comp, Club)||Verve Records||314 527 504-2||US||1995||Sell This Version|