Tracklist Hide Credits
- Artwork [Sleeve Art, Stickers Art] – George Hardie N.T.A.*
- Backing Vocals – Barry St. John, Doris Troy, Lesley Duncan, Liza Strike
- Bass, Vocals, Synthesizer [VCS3], Effects [Tape] – Roger Waters
- Design [Sleeve], Photography By – Hipgnosis (2)
- Engineer – Alan Parsons
- Engineer [Assistant] – Peter James
- Keyboards, Vocals, Synthesizer [VCS3] – Richard Wright
- Lyrics By – Roger Waters
- Music By – Pink Floyd
- Percussion, Effects [Tape] – Nick Mason
- Producer – Pink Floyd
- Supervised By [Mixing] – Chris Thomas
- Vocals, Guitar, Synthesizer [Vcs3] – David Gilmour
- Written-By – Gilmour* (tracks: A2 to A4, B3), Mason* (tracks: A1, A4, B3), Wright* (tracks: A2, A4, A5, B2, B3), Waters* (tracks: A2 to A4, B1, B2, B4, B5)
℗ 1973 The Gramophone Co. Ltd.
Made in Gt. Britain
E.M.I Records (The Gramophone Co. Ltd.) Hayes · Middlesex · England
File under POPULAR : Pop Groups
This is the original form of the release, it has solid light blue prism LP picture labels with silver lettering, later forms have an empty prism. It has a gatefold sleeve, and there are three known variations of the original blue-tinged sleeve - see below. Originally delivered with 2 posters and 2 stickers.
There are 2 systems for track numbering on the release. The cover lists the titles A1 to B5 (used in this submission). The labels however number the tracks from (a) to (i) so, for example, "Breathe" is listed as "(a)(II)" on the label but "2" on the cover (see images).
The following is a guide to identifying all of the elements that make up the first pressing:
1. The label has a solid light blue prism. Subsequent pressings have a blue glowing inner edge prism with the centre black.
2. 'The Gramophone Co.' text starts at 10 o'clock on label.
3. A-2/B-2 matrix stamps appear in the runout area.
4. Thick heavyweight vinyl believed by some to be the 'finest' and most true encapsulation of this historical recording as the first pressing was pressed direct from the original masterplate.
5. There is a distinct bluish tint/tinge in the black ink of the cover.
6. There are three known original sleeve variations. 1. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with the two sides glued together. 2. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with a fold over flap that is glued inside the opening. 3. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is not sealed. A known 2/2 matrix, 1 mother, G stamper copy came with (3), an unglued and non-'folded in' sleeve at time of release, which hints at the possibility that very first pressings did not come with glued flaps, which is where the poster and stickers were located.
7. Inner sleeve is a distinctive polythene lined die cut black semi matt paper with white printed text stating 2 patent numbers bottom left [1125555/1072844] and 'MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN' bottom right.
8. Posters and stickers were printed on paper stock that has a rough texture (later pressings used paper that was gloss laminated).
9. Stickers have printed backs with diagonal lines across them, and the words 'Fasson' 'FasPrint' and 'Crack-Back'.
10. Some copies came with a small round sticker white text on blueish black stating 'Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon' (confirmed for stampers GL/MO), while some others do not.
This first edition was initially pressed by The Gramophone Co. Ltd., from July 1st, 1973 by its legal successor, EMI Records Ltd. at the same plant.
International E.M.I. catalog number 1E 064 o 05249 appears in small fonts and parentheses on the cover rear.
Note on Credits:
Though credited for the entire album, Barry St John, Doris Troy, Lesley Duncan, and Liza Strike perform backing vocals only on tracks A4, B2, B4, and B5.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Label A): SHVL 804A
- Matrix / Runout (Label B): SHVL 804B
- Other (Printer date/format code, gatefold inner): Ⓛ 7303 TPS
- Other (Patent No.s on inner sleeve): 1125555 1072844
- Matrix / Runout (Runout A, stamped variant 1): SHVL 804 A-2 G 1
- Matrix / Runout (Runout B, stamped variant 1): SHVL 804 B-2 G 1
- Matrix / Runout (Runout A, stamped variant 2): SHVL 804 A-2 ML 2
- Matrix / Runout (Runout B, stamped variant 2): SHVL 804 B-2 RG 2
Other Versions (5 of 879) View All
|1C 064-05 249||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Harvest, EMI Electrola||1C 064-05 249||Germany||1976||Sell This Version|
|1C 064-05 249||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (LP, Album, RE, Gat)||Harvest, EMI Electrola||1C 064-05 249||Germany||Unknown||Sell This Version|
|ELD 02.21.257||Pink Floyd||El Lado Oscuro De La Luna (LP, Album, Gat)||EMI||ELD 02.21.257||Peru||1973||Sell This Version|
|7243 8 2 9752 4 3||Pink Floyd||The Dark Side Of The Moon (Cass, Album, RE, RM, Dol)||EMI United Kingdom||7243 8 2 9752 4 3||Europe||1994||Sell This Version|
|UDCD 517||Pink Floyd||Dark Side Of The Moon (CD, Album, RE, RM)||Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab||UDCD 517||Japan||1988||Sell This Version|