- Written-By – , (tracks: 1)
℗ 2000 focus
© 2000 focus
© 2000 focus
- One of my prized records in my collection. I struggle to find a favourite track in this EP. Suntrap is a fantastic piece of work.
- A1: Upbeat Electronica. Starts of with "Plaid" synths doing Ezergoode (if you see what I mean). Engaging beats, fine layered synthwork make for an enertaining piece if a little lighter than what "Plaid" might have done. Bass and upper synths a bit too willfully resonant and can be a little to piercing to make what should be very pleasant, not. Poorly engineered? [SEVEN]
A2: Electronica. Beats sound faster than they are and make it thoroughly engaging even having a bit of bite. Synths are so joyous they're almost euphoric particularly with the organ base. However there is a peculiarity with this track. It bring to mind a toddler running after an older brother teasing him with an icecream. There are determined bursts of energy and equal blow ups of fatigue. At one point I thought a cable had shorted when things "halted" and in that respect the pacing keeps you on guard. [NINE]
B1: Electronica. As beautiful as anything you'll find on Warp or Delsin or indeed Focus/deFocus. Fast energetic beats if not 4/4 speed draped in fresh summer cloud synths. But it's the mesmeric "wooden" synth the dominates the track and your mood. You'll want to give someone a hug during and after this. [GOLDTEN]
B2: Downbeat techno. Beakbeat drums with simple straight synth loop. The character of the piece is given by the big, pulsating, resonating, synth wash that denches the track. [EIGHT]
- meanwhile is a really good ambient track!
Chill out track as it s best!
- Stretching back to a younger Lackluster do we find one of my all time favorite tracks from his catalog..."Cull Streak".
"Cull Streak" is placed upon a few deFocus releases, but is found on vinyl on deFocus' foc349, which is all the reason to get this particular plate.
What starts as a simple lullaby tick-tock, turns into a grooved bouncy downtempo hip-hop influenced track layered with melancholy pad lines that continually sweep the emotions of love, happiness, sadness, and deep joy within the soul. Simple, yet extremely elegant and moving.
Highly recommended on an outdoor sound system around the time the sun comes up for whoever is left around the fire...