Established in 1925 as Statsradiofoniens Orkester, it had evolved into a symphony orchestra by 1942. By 1948, the orchestra had attained membership of 92 musicians and thus the largest symphony orchestra in Scandinavia. Permanent conductors during this period were Launy Grøndahl (1925-56), Emil Reesen (1927-36), Erik Tuxen (1936-57) and Thomas Jensen (1957-63). From 1931 the orchestra performed at “Stærekassen” (later renamed to Det Kongelige Teater, Nye Scene). The orchestra gave their first concert at Radiohusets Koncertsal in 1945, their permanent base until 2009.
The name of the orchestra has evolved over time as follows:
- From 1925 to 1942: Statsradiofoniens Orkester
- From 1942 to 1959: Statsradiofoniens Symfoniorkester
- From 1959 to 1996: Danmarks Radios Symfoniorkester
- From 1996 to 2008: DR RadioSymfoniOrkestret
- Since 2008: DR SymfoniOrkestret