• Mylene-Clouseau 26 days ago

Taylor Swift sent limited numbers of 7" x 5" "Postcards" to independent record stores for Record Store Day 2024 to be distributed to any customers who purchased any versions of her album The Tortured Poets Department on RSD. (FWIW, none of these were official "RSD Releases" but its release coincided closely with RSD - The Tortured Poets Department was released April 19, 2024, and RSD was April 20th). Here is an image of the postcard. They weren't packaged with the albums, but kept up at the counters and the cashier would put one in your shopping bag if you bought a copy of The Tortured Poets Department until they ran out of cards.

An issue arose on one of the submissions of TTPD regarding whether an image of the postcard or a RN about it is appropriate to add to the submission. Rather than clutter submission history with debate over this, I'm bringing the matter to the forum for discussion in hopes a consensus can be reached.

My own feeling is that it doesn't belong in the submission. It was a give-away not packaged with any of these releases. However, I can certainly see an argument for including it. Any thoughts?

Tagging some of the Discoggers involved in the discussion on the submission and a few additional level-headed Discoggers with some experience: okupas; leonardoaraujo; breakaway; hafler3ol; Klass.Animal; Warepire; Opdiner; rdvriese; kaynaky; baldorr.
  • breakaway 26 days ago

Not packaged with album so has nothing to do with the submission imo.
  • cellularsmoke 26 days ago

a Release Note that "Records stores handed out special post cards while supplies lasted" is fine. It's pertaining to the release and is no different than "pre orders came signed" or some similar extra part.

But just a note, no need for images as it is not actually part of the release.
  • Trepas 26 days ago

Mylene-Clouseau
    My own feeling is that it doesn't belong in the submission. It was a give-away not packaged with any of these releases.

+1
  • baldorr 26 days ago

breakaway

I would generally agree with this.
  • Pheenixx 26 days ago

I've got no problem at all with adding an image of the postcard itself too as long as the notes clearly explain what it is. If it was strictly given only to purchasers of the record it can't hurt to document it. Future purchasers might want to buy one and know what it looks like.
  • typoman2 26 days ago

breakaway

+1
  • stayupthetree 26 days ago

Has nothing to do with any of the releases and shouldn't be on the submissions, because if you allow it on one of them, you have to put them on all of them.
  • Adogg856 26 days ago

Mylene-Clouseau
    My own feeling is that it doesn't belong in the submission. It was a give-away not packaged with any of these releases.

+1. Not every person that purchased TTPD on RSD received one of these cards because they were limited. Those who came later in the day probably did not get the note, so you cannot add a blanket statement like "those who purchased TTPD on RSD at an indie record store received a note from Taylor." Should we add a picture of the note or note regarding it, another user might try to take it as far to say it is a unique release for this reason. I think it is best to leave it out for these reasons.
  • leonardoaraujo 26 days ago

If Taylor Swift gave a pizza for some people who bought her album on certainly day, a picture of it will be added to the release page? No!

For me it’s pretty clear that the letter should not be on the release page.
  • _Locke_ 26 days ago

leonardoaraujo
    If Taylor Swift gave a pizza for some people who bought her album on certainly day, a picture of it will be added to the release page?

At least, we will have a discussion in the forum (or release history) about it!
  • Jayfive 26 days ago

leonardoaraujo
    If Taylor Swift gave a pizza for some people who bought her album on certainly day, a picture of it will be added to the release page? No!

Taylor Swift turning up at my door with pizza? I'm not a fan of her music but shut up and take my money!
  • Mylene-Clouseau 26 days ago

leonardoaraujo

For me it’s pretty clear that the letter should not be on the release page.

Or perhaps she directs the record stores to give it to anyone who purchases any of her albums - so then we add images and RNs for every submission of hers that someone claims to have purchased that day and received a postcard for? It was a clever promotional tool to get people visit record stores and to buy physical copies of The Tortured Poets Department - but I still think the fact it was handed out for multiple versions of the release (and not packaged with the release) makes it undeserving of mention in the submissions.

Jayfive
    Taylor Swift turning up at my door with pizza? I'm not a fan of her music but shut up and take my money!

Lol!
  • Opdiner 26 days ago

breakaway

This ^^. I can’t think of a good reason to add it.
  • teffjweedy 26 days ago

Without looking, I guessed there would be 200 photos actively enabled on her profile (which is more than will load in one go). I undershot it.
  • okupas 25 days ago

I think, that my edit is relevant for all Discogs Swifties.
  • rdvriese 24 days ago

cellularsmoke
    a Release Note that "Records stores handed out special post cards while supplies lasted" is fine. It's pertaining to the release and is no different than "pre orders came signed" or some similar extra part.

+1, but if it's for

Mylene-Clouseau
    any customers who purchased any versions of her album

maybe a note in the MR will suffice rather than repeat semi-relevant info in several subs.
  • stayupthetree 23 days ago

Friend of mine got the card and they only bought Willie Nelson, does Live At The Hollywood bowl now need to mention the post card?