• jcrosen over 10 years ago

jcrosen edited over 10 years ago
    Hi All,

We're deploying a change that will convert the existing "Lookup" button that opens a search modal into an inline autocomplete list for every artist/label field. This is the first iteration of a longer project that aims to provide better tools for finding and selecting the correct artist and label. This change specifically aims to:

- Remove clutter from the screen (say goodbye to every one of those "Lookup" buttons)
    - Provide results more quickly and closer to the input
    - Remove extra <tab>s as you move through the form

There is a functional change worth mentioning, and that's the removal of "infinite scrolling" within the lookup modal. Instead there's a link at the bottom of the autocomplete that lets you perform the search in a new window so you can get more contextual information, sort the data descending (when trying to find the next number to append), etc.

As always we're looking for your feedback and we'll continue to tweak this as we move forward. Thanks!
  • Clogwhistle over 10 years ago

Hi. Sorry to say this but at the moment the pop-up is an utter ball-ache. The pop-up always seems to appear under my mouse as I try to paste a copied Artist name or ANV into the next box so I end up with an unwanted double Artist in the previous box instead.
    At the moment I'm submitting library compilations where an Artist appears on numerous tracks. I type the name in (accurately, I hope) copy it and paste it against the relevant tracks. As you can imagine, rather than pasting the name I am beaten to the punch by the pop-up and I paste an unrelated name into the previous Artist box. I've had to take a break to calm down a little but most people work downwards and the pop-up appears below the mouse (where the next box is most likely to be). I have adapted and I now work up the page instead but I feel that having the pop-up appear to the right of the mouse might work better than below it.
  • twentynine over 10 years ago

twentynine edited over 10 years ago
    Unfortunately right now the new autocomplete function doesn't work at all in the credits' section. The function seems to work for LCCN though.
  • sebfact over 10 years ago

The Open button doesn't seem to work - I can't check the validity of a label/company prior to adding it to the field?
  • magnix over 10 years ago

Yes, this change actually sucks right now! When editing an existing entry and trying to check if a label is correct you must start removing letters first before something to pop up.
    And when adding credits in the credits section, an unclear list of credit roles pops up (or is it from my browser's history, if so, where is the actual list?) and there's no way to search for the artist ...
  • hixem over 10 years ago

I'm experiencing a lot of problems too. Same as the ones that are mentioned above.
    The credit list doesn't work anymore
    The new function that is supposed to replace the lookup does not work for Artists name

I have stopped submitting anything because of that. Please fix quick.

Note : personally, I liked the lookup button very much. I prefer to decide myself when I want to check my entry, rather than the list coming alone as soon as I have typed the first letter.
  • Jhonny_jungle over 10 years ago

Edited by jcrosen

The user expressed displeasure about the change.

Note: Please be respectful and refrain from using inflammatory language
  • -kw over 10 years ago

hixem

Yes, and the search for artists next to the credit roles do not work as well :/

Thanks for the reports folks, I can replicate the issue with the "Credits" section, apologies for the disruption.

sebfact
    The Open button doesn't seem to work

Looks like this is a firefox-specific issue, I could only reproduce it in that browser.

We'll also review some of the other concerns mentioned here, thanks for the feedback!

• LolH over 10 years ago

Not liking this change at all, I'm afraid. Thought the old look-up system worked just fine. I can now type whatever like in both the credit role and credit name fields and not know until I click preview whether I have selected the right options.
  • wxtech over 10 years ago

jcrosen
    Looks like this is a firefox-specific issue, I could only reproduce it in that browser.

Doesn't work in Chrome either.
  • LolH over 10 years ago

wxtech

Works in the tracklist section, but not the Credits section

LolH
    Not liking this change [...] I can now type whatever like in both the credit role and credit name fields and not know until I click preview whether I have selected the right options.

The credits issue is a regression and should be fixed shortly. Besides that, what specifically about this change do you not like? What task is harder to accomplish now?

wxtech

I was referring specifically to the "Open" button which works fine for me in Chrome but does not in Firefox. Is the "Open" button not working for you in Chrome?
  • wxtech over 10 years ago

jcrosen
    I was referring specifically to the "Open" button which works fine for me in Chrome but does not in Firefox. Is the "Open" button not working for you in Chrome?

My mistake. I missed the reference to the "Open button doesn't seem to work" even though it was right in front of me. Sorry.
  • julass over 10 years ago

This thing is no good at all right now
    In credits:
    1. when entering more common name like Paul Smith I've got a list of 10 people and at the end of it "search in a new window" - what's the point of the list at all if I need to search for the right person
    2. when choosing someone from the list and opening the page ["open" button] the list disappears so to check another person ?I need to delete one letter and type it again for list to reappear - that's gonna take ages to find the right Paul Smith (41) for example [it's the same with lccn list]

julass
    2. when choosing someone from the list and opening the page ["open" button] the list disappears so to check another person ?I need to delete one letter and type it again for list to reappear - that's gonna take ages to find the right Paul Smith (41) for example [it's the same with lccn list]

Same for me. Very annoying.
    I liked the lookup button so much !
  • SampleKween over 10 years ago

Hate to say it but this is annoying. I think we thought we wanted it before we realized how it would get in the way while trying to type in names etc. Other times it won't appear when you need it and there is no look up button to make it do so.
  • SampleKween over 10 years ago

julass

Co-sign.
  • holographs over 10 years ago

sebfact
    The Open button doesn't seem to work

A fix for this issue is going out right now, please let me know if this continues to happen.

hixem
    The new function that is supposed to replace the lookup does not work for Artists name

A fix for this is going out right now as well. Please let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

magnix
    When editing an existing entry and trying to check if a label is correct you must start removing letters first before something to pop up.

You can also tap the "down" arrow to open the autocomplete menu instead of adding/removing characters. Do you think it would be more useful to have the autocomplete results automatically appear when you click on an text input that already has an Artist or Label name inside?

julass
    when choosing someone from the list and opening the page ["open" button] the list disappears...

Based on comments here, the autocomplete results should stay open when you click an "open" button. I'll work on a solution for this request.

Thanks for the feedback!

could we have the lookup button back in the meantime and you test and fix this new thing someplace else?
    what was wrong with the lookup anyway? there was lots of complains about that feature?
    and please don't give us that "it's looks better now" thing

I think you're missing the bigger point: the list of options to choose from is too short and doesn't expand autmoaticly like with the lookup - again:
    what's the point of this when we need to "search in a new window" for more results?

and another example:
    I've got a 20-tracks record and I'm crediting one and the same person for most/all of them cause he did some writting/producing/instruments/etc on them
    I don't need to check this person every time - only once - it's gonna be the same name on all other credits but now I need to fight with some list cluttering the page every time i copy/paste the name into the box
  • Tokeowave over 10 years ago

Please allow scrolling if there are more than 10 exact index name results or in general and also allow a single or double-click on the field to open the dropdown menu.
  • Tokeowave over 10 years ago

Clogwhistle
    The pop-up always seems to appear under my mouse as I try to paste a copied Artist name or ANV into the next box so I end up with an unwanted double Artist in the previous box instead.

With one hand on the keyboard and one hand on the mouse try after copying the name, press tab to get rid of the dropdown, then click the next field down and paste, then press tab again to rid the menu, then click the next field, paste. Repeat.
  • Amsreddevil over 10 years ago

No, no, no, no. Please, why do you change something that was fine? My browser remembered the companies I typed in before and this was extremely handy as I only had to type 1 or 2 letters to get my own list showing for companies I use a lot. Now I have to type in the full name to get a choice. It was fine before, what possessed you guys to do this now? Please stick to fixing things that actually need fixing. When are the notifications going to have the links again as they used to? Things like that should be fixed instead of making it more difficult yet again.
  • azzurro over 10 years ago

This new feature doesn't really get my enthusiasm. Nowadays I know a lot of artists by heart and don't have to check them before the submission preview. The auto-complete seems to put quite a bit off load on the browser, slowing things down. Especially with common names you'll have to type almost the full name to get the result you want.

Also, the auto-complete for multiple credit roles doesn't seem to work anymore, which is a pity.

Maybe add the option to turn it off somewhere in the settings?
  • Eviltoastman over 10 years ago

julass
    This thing is no good at all right now
    In credits:
    1. when entering more common name like Paul Smith I've got a list of 10 people and at the end of it "search in a new window" - what's the point of the list at all if I need to search for the right person

I agree. I much preferred how it was, more mechanical, felt more tactile and responsive. IMO the whole change and not just the credits flaw is a regression.
    azzurro
    This new feature doesn't really get my enthusiasm. Nowadays I know a lot of artists by heart and don't have to check them before the submission preview. The auto-complete seems to put quite a bit off load on the browser, slowing things down. Especially with common names you'll have to type almost the full name to get the result you want.

Yep. I have dozens by the same individual to add. I was thinking it would be a grind before this change, I;d rather not bother.

I liked the old lookup feature.
    Amsreddevil
    No, no, no, no. Please, why do you change something that was fine?

I agree. Jcrossen, I understand you want to deploy new toys, but we were still playing with the old ones and were perfectly happy.
    julass
    what's the point of this when we need to "search in a new window" for more results?

Exactly.

azzurro

Alternatively, we revert the system to the way it was? Anyone else prefer the way it was before?
  • runnerrecords over 10 years ago

I don't like this feature either! The old Discogs website from about one year ago used to be much more useful, and it even looked a lot better too.
  • seehaas over 10 years ago

Eviltoastman
    azzurro

Alternatively, we revert the system to the way it was? Anyone else prefer the way it was before?

Please revert that useless change - I prefer strongly the way it was before!
  • teninchfan over 10 years ago

seehaas

A really big +1 from me to this!!!

Was this deterioration really necessary?
  • slur over 10 years ago

seehaas

+
    jcrosen
    - Provide results more quickly and closer to the input

would have been fine imo.
  • StaticGuru over 10 years ago

Why is the community always doing the beta testing?
  • blach over 10 years ago

seehaas

Can't be done fast enough.

Amsreddevil
    Please stick to fixing things that actually need fixing.

And if you can't think of any right now, let me mention
    1) the message bug ( http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/53f77b2d2ec4b34839c11163 and still trolling: http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/5452cf42ad9d35105e78075c )
    2) the owner statistics ( http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/542fca392ec4b356db65ae5d )
    3) the ANV filtering ( http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/5447ffa6ea6211538b02f092?page=1#544ba872d07b0919f930e6de and http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/5447ffa6ea6211538b02f092?page=1 )

StaticGuru

Funny - but not funny at all.

• mcr1 over 10 years ago

Amsreddevil
    No, no, no, no. Please, why do you change something that was fine?

azzurro
    This new feature doesn't really get my enthusiasm

Eviltoastman
    I agree. I much preferred how it w

runnerrecords
    I don't like this feature either!

+1

Lookup was fine. Maybe this was done to ensure those less gifted on submissions would enter the label/artist/company name correctly, the intention seems good, but for someone who gives a damn the lookup feature was just right.
  • Kingsk1117 over 10 years ago

Agree with going back to the previous version. I felt I had more control, and now it feels like it is trying to do things for me, but getting it wrong. It also seems more likely now that it enters a PAN without my realizing that the name I was entering should have been an ANV, and I don't realize I need to put it in the ANV box.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

Kingsk1117
    Agree with going back to the previous version. I felt I had more control, and now it feels like it is trying to do things for me, but getting it wrong. It also seems more likely now that it enters a PAN without my realizing that the name I was entering should have been an ANV, and I don't realize I need to put it in the ANV box

Yes, it's already tough asking poor submitters to change an artist, I keep reminding them to use lookup. Now I can see people coming back with "don't blame me, blame discogs" comments.
  • RalphMachmot over 10 years ago

Kingsk1117
    Agree with going back to the previous version. I felt I had more control, and now it feels like it is trying to do things for me, but getting it wrong. It also seems more likely now that it enters a PAN without my realizing that the name I was entering should have been an ANV, and I don't realize I need to put it in the ANV box.

+1 for exactly the same reasons
  • edovan over 10 years ago

StaticGuru

I don't mind beta-testing, but it should be on an optional level, in the "Labs" section of your settings like some of the previous new features you've presented. Why wasn't this done this time?

julass

Both points still apply and I find just as annoying as julass

Also, an interesting example, which may be releated to this:
    - When I type "edvin s" I get two hits: "Edvin Wallnäs" and "Kotrljajuće Kamenje"
    - When I type "edvin sa" I get one hit: "Edvin Sandberg". Why isn't this one included in the first search?

I use Chrome 37.0.2062.124 on WIndows 7 Pro.

Kingsk1117

Excellent post. Very well put, particularly about "control".
  • Erit_Invictus over 10 years ago

By the gods please no more pop ups. I prefer the buttons. Pops up get in the way whenever I want to write something, or sometimes don't load at all when I need them.

Please revert the change.

Erit_Invictus
    Please revert the change.

+1

• -kw over 10 years ago

It's very annoing that the drop down always disappears when you clicked the open-button. It would be better, if is would stay.

Furthermore, the drop down list only does appear when you startet to type, not when clicking into the field, which is annoing as well (e.g. finding an artist which name is commen Andreas --> Andreas (2), Andreas (3), Andreas (4), ...). You have to remove at least one charachter veofre you can see the list again.

So far not a good feature :/
  • andygrayrecords over 10 years ago

Can we fix it, so it's possible for the predictive feature to work with more than one credit per line.

Hi all, thanks for the feedback and contributing to the discussion here. We're planning to work on addressing some of the annoyances, specifically that clicking the "Open" button closes the list and that the results appear when pasting a name which makes it difficult to paste into multiple artist inputs quickly.

-kw
    You have to remove at least one charachter veofre you can see the list again.

You can actually push the "down" arrow key to re-open the results. We felt that automatically opening the dialog every time you click into the field would be annoying; thoughts?

StaticGuru

Any time there's a change, even with beta testing there are invariably disruptions. We also intentionally made this change smaller in scope for the first step in order to be a little more agile rather than spending a whole bunch of time developing a larger change behind closed doors. However, in hindsight we should have deployed this as a Labs feature instead; we underestimated the impact and we'll be more conservative in our approach in the future.

andygrayrecords
    Can we fix it, so it's possible for the predictive feature to work with more than one credit per line.

Hey andygrayrecords, I'm not sure I understand correctly. What is the difficulty you're having?

julass
    what was wrong with the lookup anyway? there was lots of complains about that feature?

Eviltoastman
    Jcrossen, I understand you want to deploy new toys, but we were still playing with the old ones and were perfectly happy.

Heh, despite the assumptions asserted here we didn't just decide to do this because we felt like it. Let me provide a little more context for why we're doing this and where we're headed.

This change is just one step as part of a broader effort to help users find the right artists and labels. We actually received a lot of responses to a recent survey of contributors and finding artists and labels is one of the top dis-satisfiers, especially for new contributors. In user testing people would often have trouble "discovering" the Lookup button and it doesn't promote the idea that you should find an existing artist instead of creating a new one or linking to the wrong one (one thing we'll need to keep in mind is providing a better experience when entering already "known" artists/labels). Visually the button took up a great deal of space (since it's repeated for every artist/label input) and displaced a lot of the inputs which makes it more difficult for smaller screens and and more difficult to modify the UI.

Finally, the implementation of the Lookup was never intended to be a final step even when it was originally created. It was a temporary solution to the problem of finding the right artist/label and we've now got the resources and commitment from leadership to continue what we started. Those next steps currently include adding contextual information (like years active, most common labels/companies, common credits/genres/styles/etc.) to the results list and providing a way to more broadly search for artists than just matching the name (so instead of searching by just name you can search with multiple terms like genre and style). Another enhancement we'd like to explore is making it easier to enter artists in a single batch operation instead of requiring all of the copy/paste operations (so perhaps an "Apply this credit to checked tracks" or something like that).

Our plans could change so I'm not promising a particular outcome, but I wanted to give you a little more context around the why and an idea of where we're heading.

As always I appreciate the feedback, we'll continue iterating on this today and throughout next week.
  • -kw over 10 years ago

jcrosen
    We felt that automatically opening the dialog every time you click into the field would be annoying; thoughts?

Well, it could be, but it would be much more easy to find an artist/label.
    But the down key seems to be a good solution here. Thanks!

jcrosen
    We actually received a lot of responses to a recent survey of contributors and finding artists and labels is one of the top dis-satisfiers

i knew that the answer is gonna be something like that...

why do we have to get some halfass/broken/full of bugs piece of !@#$% to work with instead of the full package that you're talking about? why can't you just do a beta version of submission form like it was done before and then you get some opinions and then you fix & improve and opinions again until all gonna be working properly?

why do we have to level to the weakest link?

why can't you just make an easy presentation on how to enter the data into the form that every new person could look at and understand what are all the elements to?

instead all of that we got now form that is impossible to work with - it's just painfull to even think about entering new data
  • zin over 10 years ago

Amsreddevil
    No, no, no, no. Please, why do you change something that was fine? My browser remembered the companies I typed in before and this was extremely handy as I only had to type 1 or 2 letters to get my own list showing for companies I use a lot.

^^^ THIS x 10000000 ^^^

jcrosen
    We're planning to work on addressing some of the annoyances

Bull crap, sorry, but we all know, once management sets their mind to change something, as much as we protest, you will go ahead anyway. This idiotic things needs reversing NOW, before the weekend. I am sick of this bull crap, seriously, every week some other [thing] thought up by you guys. I have had more than enough. This site is no longer fun, not due to other users, but due to managements stupid policy to do what the hell they want without actually considering the community. You will probably edit this post, but this had to be said. I am done with this [ed: removed].

jcrosen edited for profanity within the italicized brackets

Not one friggin' advantage with whatever you are trying to achieve with this pathetic changes. Not one!

Amsreddevil
    Not one friggin' advantage with whatever you are trying to achieve [...]

I'm sorry you feel that way Amsreddevil and I understand you're frustrated, but let's please all try to be civil and avoid using demeaning language or bullying behaviors. In my experience collaboration works best if we're all willing to work together in "good faith", and operating within a hostile environment doesn't tend to create the best results. We've acknowledged that we could and should have used Labs for this feature to minimize disruption and smooth the rollout, it was an oversight and we're comfortable owning that. But now I'd like to focus on moving forward and finding potential solutions for the issues presented here.

Can you be a little more specific about the challenge(s) you're experiencing? From reading your posts it sounds like your frustration specifically stems from being unable to use your browser's autocomplete functionality which makes it more difficult for you to enter artists/labels/companies you use frequently; is that correct?

jcrosen
    We're planning to work on addressing some of the annoyances

I wonder why you ask for comments - you decide what we get to use whether we like it, or may need it.
    The thoughts to make this changes may be good, but imho they are not a step forward, just two steps back.

zin
    Amsreddevil
    No, no, no, no. Please, why do you change something that was fine? My browser remembered the companies I typed in before and this was extremely handy as I only had to type 1 or 2 letters to get my own list showing for companies I use a lot.

^^^ THIS x 10000000 ^^^

and another 100000000000 +

jcrosen
    Can you be a little more specific about the challenge(s) you're experiencing?

Yes, staff that decides to do things that are of no advantage at all to oggers. Just fully reverse this change and all will be happy. I am seriously fed up. Submitting was already taking more than twice as long as it did a year ago, this is not helping at all.

Why don't you answer what several users have asked? What is the point of changing this at all? It was more than fine before, we were all used to it, it was great. This is not great, and how many ways you may tweak it, it remains user unfriendly.

I am only going to add images from now on, I am so done with this. LISTEN TO YOUR USERS WHAT THEY ACTUALLY WANT, THIS IS NOT SOMETHING THEY WANT. Simple, end of.

jcrosen
    but let's please all try to be civil and avoid using demeaning language or bullying behaviors.

If you are going to treat us like idiots, you should expect this, just sayin....
  • loukash over 10 years ago

For the record, I've tested the new feature briefly on an existing submission of mine, and so far I think it's OK.

In general, having an auto-complete function makes much more sense than the Lookup button, especially considering all the casual submitters. When I'm commenting or voting on malformed submissions, pointing out the use of the Lookup button is a frequent hint of mine. An auto-complete will likely encourage many users to look for the correct artists right away, preventing many obvious errors.

In other words:
    Inline auto-complete is a Good Thing™. :)

jcrosen
    specifically stems from being unable to use your browser's autocomplete functionality which makes it more difficult for you to enter artists/labels/companies you use frequently

Each company i used were remembered by autocomplete - and i also think it's all working slower now. I miss the search-button between PAN & ANV

It's just annoying to change a well-running system which was controlled almost blind by the most users.

Please revert this change

Amsreddevil
    Why don't you answer what several users have asked? What is the point of changing this at all? [...] LISTEN TO YOUR USERS WHAT THEY ACTUALLY WANT

Hi Amsreddevil, I actually answered this question in a post above, but we made this change after aggregating survey feedback (with over 3000 responses) about what dissatisfied contributors most when submitting to the database.

Amsreddevil
    If you are going to treat us like idiots, you should expect this, just sayin....

Nobody should expect to be bullied or harassed, including staff. That's not the kind of atmosphere we want to promote here and engaging in those behaviors will make it less likely for your concerns to be heard (which would be sad as you clearly have a lot of passion and 'ogs knowledge).

loukash
    For the record, I've tested the new feature briefly on an existing submission of mine, and so far I think it's OK.

Thanks for the feedback loukash, please do let us know if you have additional thoughts after using it more.

teninchfan
    Each company i used were remembered by autocomplete - and i also think it's all working slower now

Hi teninchfan, I understand the browser autocomplete issue and it makes sense how that would make it more difficult to enter commonly used companies. However, other than that issue is there something else that makes it feel slower? The search results come from the same endpoint so the search responses will be the same; do you mean the process of searching and selecting an artist now feels slower? In what way is it slower?
  • MusicNutter over 10 years ago

But does the staff ever listen to it's contributers. I mean, it's good, doing changes and all. But for what benefit is it for us. I remember Discogs a few years ago, and it was easier. Why all the changes to make it extra hard? Ever heard the quote; if it's not broken, don't fix it? Look at Ebay; where the layout hasn't really changed much, and it's the most popular site to get used, and new items. Millions use Ebay, not so much for Discogs. Whilst I don't want a Ebay clone; I do want Discogs to have it's interface. It seems Discogs is losing it's identity. Yes, make the changes; but dont force the changes, because we don't like it.

jcrosen
    but we made this change after aggregating survey feedback (with over 3000 responses) about what dissatisfied contributors most when submitting to the database.

Then why is it that only one user so far thinks this change of any use? If you are basing the results on the survey you did recently, I doubt very much that the results were accurate. I cannot imagine how anybody would think this change is of any use to anyone.

But as per usual, we just have to accept it and wait for the next change next week nobody sees any use of either.
    jcrosen
    Nobody should expect to be bullied or harassed, including staff.

Your definition is different than mine. If you think that is harassment and bullying.... but I have said my say. You obviously do not care the majority think this change is pointless, and as per usual, what management wants, management gets. I'm done with this 'conversation'. I get the message loud and clear.

It's all for publicity tbh.
  • andygrayrecords over 10 years ago

jcrosen
    Hey andygrayrecords, I'm not sure I understand correctly. What is the difficulty you're having?

Well....try adding more than one credit

Eg. Engineer, Producer

I can type the first few letters of engineer, and select engineer from the list...but then when I start to type producer, nothing.

See here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjhtwo3vt6mr8ck/Screenshot%202014-10-31%2021.16.27.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/upieunvhau4mwni/Screenshot%202014-10-31%2021.18.19.png?dl=0

when I add the second credit the predictive feature fails

andygrayrecords
    Eg. Engineer, Producer

Aaah, got it now, thanks andygrayrecrods for the explanation; I'll add a work item.

When searching i.e a person, after you added a role, there is no arrow, which can get annoying.

jcrosen
    I understand the browser autocomplete issue and it makes sense how that would make it more difficult to enter commonly used companies.

And any ideas to fix this issue?

jcrosen
    However, other than that issue is there something else that makes it feel slower? The search results come from the same endpoint so the search responses will be the same; do you mean the process of searching and selecting an artist now feels slower? In what way is it slower?

The process of searching and selecting feels much slower than before!

Like MusicNutter said "it's good, doing changes and all. But for what benefit is it for us."
    I am here since almost 2 years and it was really easier to use.

andygrayrecords
    I can type the first few letters of engineer, and select engineer from the list...but then when I start to type producer, nothing.

Noticed this too...

teninchfan
    The process of searching and selecting feels much slower than before!

Hi there, this feedback isn't very specific so it's difficult to understand what the problem is. What about the process feels slower compared to before? For example, for most users it should feel faster because it removes the need to click the Lookup button and refocus to a modal window, instead you just type and results appear. So I'm curious what your workflow is that makes it feel slower. Thanks for the feedback!
  • -kw over 10 years ago

Why not give the users the possibilty to select what search they want to have? Just add a simple options into the settings and re-enable the old search on demand. No one would blame you for it. :)

After using the feature for some time now, I can say, that all around the old search was better.
    Its just very annoying that you have to do more clicks and button pushes; the new feature just loses the
    ergonomics.

It's good that you develop and try to improve the site, but this thing did not reach the goal!
  • -kw over 10 years ago

Two more things:

+ Sometimes I got a weak WiFi signal here. After typing I cannot decide whether the signal is lost or no artist/label is found. A loading animation would be great here.

+ After the correct artist/label is inside the field, I used to use the lookup-button to do a research of other artists/labels without changing the correct entered artist/label in the field. That's a problem now, you cannot search without changing the information inside the field.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

Tell the newbies how to work this new system , asap.
  • blach over 10 years ago

jcrosen
    Can you be a little more specific about the challenge(s) you're experiencing?

Kingsk1117
    I felt I had more control, and now it feels like it is trying to do things for me, but getting it wrong.

^ this. And the fact, that changes are rolled out unannounced, - so when I have my mind set for a few tasks this evening, - instead I have to struggle with an unannounced change, that I have not had the possibility to get acquainted with in advance. It happens all the time, - and my fuse gets shorter each time.

Basically I'm no big fan of autocompletion (yes: I loose control), - so this would be great:

-kw
    Why not give the users the possibilty to select what search they want to have? Just add a simple options into the settings and re-enable the old search on demand.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

I've just got in from a night out and read all this ****, unless someone from discogs staff uses UPPERCASE and notifies/emails to everybody/every user it's going to lead to chaos. 24 notifications in 5 hours.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

Seriously, today I went to edit, where was lookup? I had no email. I had no notice. I read the forums. many don't. Where is the Discogs-wide email of changes? Please tell us all, don't surprise us.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

mcr1
    Seriously, today I went to edit, where was lookup? I had no email. I had no notice. I read the forums. many don't. Where is the Discogs-wide email of changes? Please tell us all, don't surprise us.

+1
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

• mcr1 over 10 years ago

What about the guidelines? 2.2.2. More than one main artist can be entered by adding another artist field. This is done by clicking the large button (the large x button removes the field). When you add another artist field this way, you will see that another field is added beside the existing artist field, this is called the join field, and is for adding words or symbols that join the two artists together, for example 'And', 'Featuring', '/', ',' etc. Please don't leave the join field empty, if there is no join used on the release, just enter a comma.
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

ANV? 2.2.1. The artist field at the top of the submission form is where we put the main artist for the release. This is considered to be the artist or artists named on the front cover of the release, or otherwise billed as such.

Image:Main_artist_field.gif
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

As we say in the UK : Recipe For Disaster.
  • PabloPlato over 10 years ago

mcr1
    What about the guidelines? 2.2.2. More than one main artist can be entered by adding another artist field. This is done by clicking the large button (the large x button removes the field). When you add another artist field this way, you will see that another field is added beside the existing artist field, this is called the join field, and is for adding words or symbols that join the two artists together, for example 'And', 'Featuring', '/', ',' etc. Please don't leave the join field empty, if there is no join used on the release, just enter a comma.

??

what about 2.2.2? or 2.2.1 even? i don't follow - what are you getting at?

i don't mind the changes, i hated the look of the lookup button anyways. a small button with binoculars or a magnifying glass would have been better, but whatev's.
    i haven't encountered as big an issue with the new submission form...yet.
    ;)
  • mcr1 over 10 years ago

I'm getting at guidelines and changes made without discogs staff heralding these changes. I'm ok with you being ok and I'll stick with whatever the consensus is, but until there is a consensus I'll keep my comments coming. I just want staff to explain these changes to all and sundry. This really took me by surprise today and the lord help those who don't have a clue already. Think about that.

jcrosen
    So I'm curious what your workflow is that makes it feel slower.

It isn't easy to find the right words in english, but i think that the feeling depends on that i worked formerly almost in "automatic mode". So maybe just a subjective feeling. And i am also not sure to get always the correct Artist/Label because my internet connection isn't the fastest one.

Kingsk1117

I felt I had more control, and now it feels like it is trying to do things for me, but getting it wrong.

This is also a big point here for me.

Still i wonder why nothing of this change were announced before ;-)

Maybe i am also just too old to like frequent changes? I don't know, but i hope that you think about
    -kw
    Why not give the users the possibility to select what search they want to have?

• anssisal over 10 years ago

anssisal edited over 10 years ago
    Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but..
    I used to hold down ctrl and click on those "open" buttons from the list and they would open into a new tab, BUT not actually go to that tab, so I could first choose all "John Smith" variations, which I would then examine more closely. But now when I click "open" even with ctrl down it only let's me open one of the variations and immediately goes to that page. So I have to go back to the "edit release" tab and choose another variation and do the same thing over and over... And it's annoying as ****.
  • Clogwhistle over 10 years ago

One thing I did notice was that when I was entering a name into the an Artist field the options that the pop-up box offered weren't as acute or relevant than those that the old Lookup box offered.
    e.g. If I type in John S (with the intent of adding John Smith) I am offered the following:
    John Fryer
    John Lennon
    John S. Hall
    Elton John
    John S. O'Leary
    John Densmore
    John S. Wilson
    John Porter
    Robert John Lange
    John Barry
    Now, I could be wrong but there does appear to be a strange psychic quality to this list. I mean, How John S can be considered an attempt at typing Elton John is way, way beyond me.
    If the old system did this too I hadn't noticed it, but sadly I can't go back in time to recheck the old system.
  • edovan over 10 years ago

Yesterday I added a comp cassette with different artists for each track. I actually found the new setup to be quite handy. For artists with 10+ number of others with the same name, it's a lot trickier, and will always be. As long as you can fix the "close-results-box-when-pressing-open"-annoyance I think this can turn out as an improvement. The box should remain until I choose any of the alternatives presented or click outside it (which would leave the input field intact).

Also please check the accuracy issue I mentioned in my previous post and now also has been brought up by Clogwhistle. It seem to be related problems.

anssisal
    I used to hold down ctrl and click on those "open" buttons from the list and they would open into a new tab,

Me too and since the list was placed more appropriately before, scrolling was simpler than before.
    jcrosen
    This change is just one step as part of a broader effort to help users find the right artists and labels.

It was much better before. As has been said by you guys before, perfect is the enemy of good. What you;ve done is take something which works well, is not a barrier to data entry and was so tactile, controllable and reliable and replaced it with something that seems floaty, inaccurate and cumbersome and is a barrier to data entry in pursuit of something that very few people actually wanted.

I'm willing to bet the people you've alienated here with this change within 72 hours outnumbers the amount of those claiming to have had problems specifically with the way the form was - and in any case I'm willing to bet the real issue they complained about was the lamentable search ending and not the form around it.
  • p.ain over 10 years ago

dear management, please listen to the oggers and revert this change for now! or at least make it optional via Labs. it may become useful one day but the way it is functioning now… it needs much improving indeed. problem areas already pointed out in this thread
  • magnix over 10 years ago

p.ain
    dear management, please listen to the oggers and revert this change for now! or at least make it optional via Labs. it may become useful one day but the way it is functioning now… it needs much improving indeed. problem areas already pointed out in this thread

I completely agree. I don't mind changes, but they should be way better tested! So, as p.ain suggests, roll back the change, make it a Lab feature and take time to straighten out the bugs and such first. Thanks.
  • tarantoga over 10 years ago

After subbing my first release with the new submission form I have to say that I liked it better the way it was before. Still I will get used to it, I suppose.

Here are some bugs/annoyances that bothered me (some already mentioned by other oggers):

- Only the first credit role gets auto-completed, additional roles entered in the same field don't trigger the pop-up (very annoying!)
    - The browser's auto-complete function obviously doesn't work anymore. This was very handy when using the same companies/artists very often and was quicker to use in this case as the new Discogs auto-complete function.
    - When trying to select and copy from an already filled field ((CTRL-A) + (CTRL-C)), the auto-complete pops up and often obscures the fields where you want to paste the text into.
    - Auto-complete pop-up closes when opening a link
    - There is no scroll function in the Auto-complete popup (why?). To get more results you always have to open a new window/tab
    - Companies marked as invalid do not show the Warning Sign in the pop-up (very annoying!)

Once the bugs get fixed this might actually be an improvement.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 10 years ago

tarantoga
    - Only the first credit role gets auto-completed, additional roles entered in the same field don't trigger the pop-up (very annoying!)

Hit the down arrow to retrigger it. The escape key closes it.

Edit: Err. Nevermind. I see what you're talking about.
  • jazz_counselor over 10 years ago

When I click on the Images, it says there are none even though there are... Actually, sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't... I don't know if this problem is related to this conversation, but seems like a bug nonetheless...
  • jazz_counselor over 10 years ago

• Opdiner over 10 years ago

Opdiner edited over 10 years ago
    anssisal
    Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but..
    I used to hold down ctrl and click on those "open" buttons from the list and they would open into a new tab, BUT not actually go to that tab, so I could first choose all "John Smith" variations, which I would then examine more closely. But now when I click "open" even with ctrl down it only let's me open one of the variations and immediately goes to that page. So I have to go back to the "edit release" tab and choose another variation and do the same thing over and over... And it's annoying as ****.

^^ this. I used to use this countless times a day and the removal of this ability is a major usability reversal. I do an awful lot of general tidying up of the database in my spare time and the way we could quickly check common names was crucial.

I'm with the the chorus that this needs to be somehow reverted at least until these basic fundamental flaws are fixed. It's damaging the database needlessly.

Edit: another annoying flaw - it's encouraging the retention of errors. As an example EMI Italiana S.p.A. exists in the database as EMI ITALIANA S.p.A. because of the caps issues if they are created that way (we are stuck with it). However most experienced submitters enter it correctly. Now we are automatically offered the legacy wrong version. Whilst it can be overridden, now we are encouraged to use the wrong version.
  • progcode over 10 years ago

Opdiner
    I used to use this countless times a day and the removal of this ability is a major usability reversal. I do an awful lot of general tidying up of the database in my spare time and the way we could quickly check common names was crucial.

+1

Yes, it does keep pestering us with the caps bugged versions and no doubt we;ll get some users seeing that as legitimising them and some will no doubt (as they have in the past) start either editing to the bugged version deliberately or voting those who enter them correctly.
  • kosutasu over 10 years ago

I think it works fine, you have to fix the credit list bug though.

Diognes_The_Fox
    tarantoga

This is not something I would call "intuitive". And you have done the change to makes things more intuitive and easy for new users ! Previously we had to explain to newbies the use of the lookup button, now we'll have to explain the use of the down-arrow button...

Also, something else that is a regression : previously the window opened by the lookup button highlighted the profile of Artists we already have opened and checked. Now, it's not highlighted anymore. This was very useful in case of mutiple names to check, especially when they're not sorted in the suffix order...

Opdiner
    Edit: another annoying flaw - it's encouraging the retention of errors. As an example EMI Italiana S.p.A. exists in the database as EMI ITALIANA S.p.A. because of the caps issues if they are created that way (we are stuck with it). However most experienced submitters enter it correctly. Now we are automatically offered the legacy wrong version. Whilst it can be overridden, now we are encouraged to use the wrong version.

that is actually a very serious issue, as newer users will see it as an example for what to do in the future, thus perpetuating similar issues in their later subs.

maybe the dev team should take 5 minutes away from their scheduled boardroom pow-wow (what is it this week? is the green skittle too green and scaring off new users? debating to make it more chartreuse and less kelly?) and hunker down to fix this long standing issue once and for all.

Clogwhistle
    If I type in John S (with the intent of adding John Smith) I am offered the following:
    John Fryer
    John Lennon
    John S. Hall
    Elton John
    John S. O'Leary
    John Densmore
    John S. Wilson
    John Porter
    Robert John Lange
    John Barry

yeah, i have begun to notice this too. it's absolute garbage. the lookup button was better at returning relevant results.

Diognes_The_Fox

that's not going to work on tablets and mobile devices, now will it?

Diognes_The_Fox and other staff take note.

The majority are unhappy with the changes. Also the highlighted thing is now missing, The old search actually showed relevant results. Please look what makes Discogs great, it's not the staff that make it great, it's the community who submit to Discogs. Why make a design where it's only pleasing to yourself, the staff, then the people what make Discogs, the community.
  • wintersnooze over 10 years ago

Just a heads up here. I use an iPad and there is no down arrow key on the on-screen keyboard. Also, has this been tested on Safari?

Another example of a very strange search result with the autocomplete form :
    I am submitting release with artist Shakti Yoni
    - When I type "Shakti" : the artist appears in 2nd position
    - I continue typing "Shakti Y" : No results anymore ! The display message : "no result, new artist will be created"
    - I continue typing "Shakti Yo" : the artist Shakti Yoni is found back.

It is the same with the standard search BTW (not a specific issue with the new autocomplete function).
    Please work first on the efficiency of the search engine before making new changes like the one we're discussing here...

hixem
    Please work first on the efficiency of the search engine before making new changes like the one we're discussing here...

+1

wintersnooze
    I use an iPad and there is no down arrow key on the on-screen keyboard.

mmm hmm!

MusicNutter
    The majority are unhappy with the changes. Also the highlighted thing is now missing, The old search actually showed relevant results.

+1

Therefore i started to use a 2nd browser for searching and in my honest opinion it really can't be the way to get proper search results.

Btw. when i when i use "Explore" to see what's new in db there are not less wrong entries than before this change. Especially newbies seems to ignore what is written into the "autocomplete search results", they just invent some wonderful new, weird entries.

So what helps to change anything if no one reads the "Owner's Manual" before starting here?
  • Mr-Love over 10 years ago

Opdiner
    Edit: another annoying flaw - it's encouraging the retention of errors. As an example EMI Italiana S.p.A. exists in the database as EMI ITALIANA S.p.A. because of the caps issues if they are created that way (we are stuck with it).

Maybe time to fix this basic error that's been known since just about the launch of the site? Here's a list of some of the artists and labels/companies initially entered with the wRong caPs (there's 353 of them in there, but the real amount is most certainly much higher): http://www.discogs.com/lists/Incorrectly-capitalized-artist-and-label-names/123711

tarantoga
    The browser's auto-complete function obviously doesn't work anymore. This was very handy when using the same companies/artists very often and was quicker to use

+100 - the new auto-crap is just useless compared to this.

Please make it possible to turn off autocomplete, to be able to instead use the previously used artists/labels. If I don't know the right entry I'll search for it - the lookup button was just perfect for that. This just seems to be a badly thought out quick fix to please newbies, with no thought about the regular users, which are the main content contributors.

• valparaiso over 10 years ago

valparaiso edited over 10 years ago
    Just to bring my point of view.

I've tested and experienced this new feature all the day of yesterday during many hours, making many edits on releases (LCCN and Credits fields).

My conclusion: this new feature is very bad for all the reasons which have already been raised above by all the other users of this post. This is a clear step back, I don't see any benefit or improvement as it is now. The Lookup button is terribly missing, and I've made many errors (corrected of course) when editing. It is unuseful and dangerous, and a loss of time when working on edits.

I don't like to say that, generally I'm more cautious and clement with new developpement. But this one, NO!
    Please revert.