• Iceman107 over 9 years ago

THE_E.TremontStevieB edited over 9 years ago
    I'm trying to show patience and restraint with Discogs cock-a-mamee- system of adding to their database...at MY expense!

Let me share a recent communique from the ominous 'Discogs' about a recent entry I posted:

Hello Iceman107,
    A comment was posted on 1969 Chicago Cubs - Cub Power which you submitted or contributed to.
    Comment: looks good, the only correction i recommend is the trak positions should not have a dash. A1, not A-1.
    would you be able to capture an image of the back cover and the labels to help verify that some of the information has been entered exactly as on release and correctly? i currently cannot verify anything beyond the release title.
    thanks!
    Details/History: http://www.discogs.com/history?release=6506255#latest
    Current Quality Rating: Needs Vote
    Sincerely,
    DISCOGS

Let's take this by the numbers:

1. I'm doing YOU/Discogs a favor by taking the time to even enter this information WITH cover pic at MY expense! Yes MY expense! My time AND the fact that I pay YOU when I make a sale!

2. That's not good enough however in the eyes of the 'Great and Powerful Oz...er Discogs'!
    Now you need a back cover so that YOU in your divine wisdom can ascertain that the information I submitted is TRUE!? Give me a friggin' break and get over yourself!

3. And my listing the tracks with a dash between the Side letter and the Track number is utter nonsense! So I prefer A-1 to YOUR A1!? Really, this is the kind of B.S. you feel is sooooo necessary?

4. So am I to assume that because YOU 'can't verify anything beyond the release title', that the information should be considered bogus and not Discogs worthy?

YOUR WELCOME!!!

Thanks for the hoop jumping exercise and continuing to take the fun out of the hobby!

P.S. You want pics of the label too!?! HA!!!
    Maybe I could get everyone on the recording to come to Discogs headquarters to testify that they were in fact on the record! Maybe extract some DNA from them and run their fingerprints too!
    How anal retentive can you GET!?
  • StaticGuru over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    I'm trying to show patience and restraint with Discogs cock-a-mamee- system of adding to their database...at MY expense!

No you're not.
    Iceman107
    . I'm doing YOU/Discogs a favor

No you're not.
    Iceman107
    That's not good enough however in the eyes of the 'Great and Powerful Oz...er Discogs'!

No it's not.
    Iceman107
    Give me a friggin' break

No we won't.
    Iceman107
    And my listing the tracks with a dash between the Side letter and the Track number is utter nonsense!

No it's not.
    Iceman107
    Really, this is the kind of B.S. you feel is sooooo necessary?

Yes it is.
    Iceman107
    YOUR WELCOME!!!

You're

Iceman107
    Thanks for the hoop jumping exercise and continuing to take the fun out of the hobby!

When you registered to this site, you agreed to the terms and conditions, in which you are required to follow the rules of the site. Why did you agree to that when you clearly are not willing to do so?

• Gundozer over 9 years ago

and really really annoying use of childish title with symbols.*******************************
  • Opdiner over 9 years ago

• DIFFO over 9 years ago

Is someone digging a hole for themselves here?
  • Opdiner over 9 years ago

Thousands of people enter records and CDs into this database at an incredible rate per day without major issue and you've now arrived at decided that it's all "cock-a-mamee" and needs changing.

Really?

And really really REALLY some uninteresting babbeling "info" and anger aimed at the whole world it seems(?)from this submitter. If he was my friend on ***************************FaCeBoooK*******************, I would un-friend him after seeing this....
  • Plastic-Man over 9 years ago

Plz 2 b crying moar; deloxious tears R deloxious.
  • Mop66 over 9 years ago

Gundozer
    Gundersen 34 minutes ago
    and really really annoying use of childish title with symbols.*******************************

Totally. Extremely annoying.

• wintersnooze over 9 years ago

If that's how you react to someone trying to help I hate to think how you'll react when you screw up....oh wait...you did. You submitted a duplicate...

I'd advise you on how to try and avoid that in the future, but it isnt help you want, it's a chance to have a whinge. And everything changed to suit you.

Meh.

Not worth the effort.
  • bobbley over 9 years ago

Gundozer

...and what's with '101'? What does that mean?
    Does it add more importance if those 3 numbers are added to a sentence?
    Perhaps it's the same reason for using '107'?

Can't believe he's been on the site for nearly 7 years before contributing this one and only release...after that amount of time it should have been perfect.

• DIFFO over 9 years ago

DIFFO edited over 9 years ago
    bobbley
    ..and what's with '101'? What does that mean?

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

He's telling us all to go and do one basically, as Big Brother (us) is watching O_o

That was 'Room 101'? ...must be an American thing.
    lol....I'd be surprised if he knows anything about George Orwell....
  • DIFFO over 9 years ago

• StaticGuru over 9 years ago

101...?
  • DIFFO over 9 years ago

StaticGuru
    Let's not go too far.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/101_(number)#In_education

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101

Maybe he's saying 'take a hike' a long one then?

:)
  • avalon67 over 9 years ago

It's just a different form of trolling
  • reapermadness over 9 years ago

First time I've ever wanted to vote EI on a forum post.
  • yuhann over 9 years ago

^ googled it at MY expense
    ;)
  • garneren over 9 years ago

This guy is not the first seller to come on here thinking Discogs's primary purpose is the marketplace. Perhaps it would be an idea to explain that even more explicitly in the conditions when people register, so we can avoid these rambling tantrums about expenses.
  • mcr1 over 9 years ago

garneren
    Perhaps it would be an idea to explain that even more explicitly in the conditions when people register

+1
  • Jayfive over 9 years ago

• elchicofritto over 9 years ago

reapermadness
    First time I've ever wanted to vote EI on a forum post.

+1
    garneren
    Perhaps it would be an idea
    …to hit the 'Ignore User' button,
    which i just did when it comes to this user.

• PabloPlato over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    Now you need a back cover so that YOU in your divine wisdom can ascertain that the information I submitted is TRUE!?

no, i requested images so i could confirm that the artist name was entered correctly. not true. but accurate. that's what we are after here on the discogs database. accuracy.

and as it turned out

1969 Chicago Cubs - Cub Power

wasn't quite accurate, now was it?

The Chicago Cubs And The Fabulous Bleacher Bums - Cub Power
    www.discogs.com/Chicago-Cubs-And-Fabulous-Bleacher-Bums-Cub-Power/release/2711327#images/4769214

so i was right to approach the entered data with some speculation.

Iceman107
    Give me a friggin' break and get over yourself!

that's some good advice to take.
  • Bokkiebeh over 9 years ago

For the love of......why in the hell are you using this "cock-a-mamee- system" anyway Iceman? If it's so flawed, and so horrible to use, please find something else to do...
    The system is not perfect...we know...but you are just making a mess of it yourself, basic stuff! All we ask is some patience, and some time to learn the system. Start with the HELP function, read the rules and I'm sure you will get the hang of it.
  • AV-Media over 9 years ago

The Iceman has lost his cool...
  • MusicNutter over 9 years ago

Not so ice ice baby after all.

MusicNutter
    Not so ice ice baby after all.

Darn it MusicNutter that's better than mine...
    Thought for ages over that as well! :)
  • Tokeowave over 9 years ago

The Iceman's having a meltdown.
  • cellularsmoke over 9 years ago

bobbley
    ...and what's with '101'? What does that mean?

American College Entry Level Course numbering.

First Year, First Course. Not sure anyone else in the world uses the system...
  • flipster over 9 years ago

elchicofritto
    …to hit the 'Ignore User' button,

Not Yet, too funny to ignore at the moment, know what you mean though, will lose its flavour...

Iceman101 is still available as username......
  • The_Beatles. over 9 years ago

• change_username over 9 years ago

This discussion easily an entry for -

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/209992?page=38#3761658

Na flipster they are as a cold as ice. The lyrics to Foreigner - Cold as Ice springs to mind regarding this user.
  • TheTurtle over 9 years ago

MusicNutter
    Na flipster they are as a cold as ice. The lyrics to Foreigner - Cold as Ice springs to mind regarding this user.

Started singing it inside my head - started laughing out loud, when I reached "You never take advice, someday you'll pay the price"

^

:D Exactly
  • The_Beatles. over 9 years ago

TheTurtle
    Started singing it inside my head - started laughing out loud, when I reached "You never take advice, someday you'll pay the price"

+1 Like that :-D

(YAWN)
    So when did this site become the Facebook or Twitter for the smug and snarkey power-tripping narcissist would-be record collector hobbyists? It seems that record collecting information on this site is secondary to people working out their stand-up comedy routines for their upcoming appearances opening for Wayne Newton in Vegas. Good luck with that...and don't give up your day jobs.
    ---------------------------------------
    Thank you to:
    Tokeowave (funny retort)
    Bokkiebeh (A bit hostile but point well taken)
    PabloPlato ( I stand by my entry...get a photo of the label)

Happy snarking! Peace <><
  • garneren over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    (YAWN)

Bye bye.

• Clogwhistle over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    I stand by my entry...get a photo of the label

This is the label from the release already in the database - http://cdn.discogs.com/9C7hHK7I1g6n3M65uBTkp0JnU6A=/fit-in/600x800/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(96)/discogs-images/R-2711327-1297611412.jpeg.jpg . Are you saying that the label on your copy differs from this?

Another use who couldn't care less about the site; making me question why did they join?

The site is a database first; then the marketplace. If you want only to sell, plenty of sites to help.

What was your intention of joining?.

Many people read the guidelines, or check other submissions before submitting. Whilst from the mistake of merging master, most learn and submit good stuff. Others cry because we are trying to help them.

We are only trying to help; the first submission is always tricky; but you get the hang of it....eventually.
  • Bokkiebeh over 9 years ago

No hostility intended...the hostillity came from your site. You came to this forum guns blazing, ranting & raving...what did you expect???
    Most here just wanted to help you, first submissions CAN be a pain (as explained)...Some courtesy from you would have made some people jump in a help you along, but all you do is complaint how BAD it all is. Probably THIS is not a good place for you...

^

Yes also since they are selling, and a user asks a question regarding the item; can you imagine it. They were hostile in this thread; can you imagine it when they get questions or bad feedback.

Clog-
    It's just a matter of excessive and irrelevant simantics. Lable's the same but notice that # 3 entry is in larger print after the number and the lettering underneath is smaller? I consider the larger lettering the actual selection and the smaller lettering to be a sub-selection (if you will). Personally, if I were to chose listing that sub-selection (and I WOULDN'T), I would put it in the 'Notes' section. But that's MY interpretation. Thanks for the info.
  • Clogwhistle over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    I consider the larger lettering the actual selection and the smaller lettering to be a sub-selection (if you will).

I see what you mean.
    I think that track number 3 states the Artist first (note that the lettering is the same size as the Artist credits elsewhere on the label) and then lists the songs that make up the medley as if they were sub-tracks or subtitles. That being said, you reported what you saw on the label and it was a reasonable interpretation of what is actually an awkward submission.
    Our mantra has been "As On Release" but as far as I can tell the options were to call track 3 "Untitled", "Medley" (neither title actually appearing on the release) or, as you did, "Dick Selma & The Fabulous Bleacher Bums" (As On Release).
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with your treatment in the Release History but things have become a little heated in this Forum thread. Let's hope that this can stop now.
  • PabloPlato over 9 years ago

Iceman107
    Clog-
    It's just a matter of excessive and irrelevant simantics. Lable's the same but notice that # 3 entry is in larger print after the number and the lettering underneath is smaller? I consider the larger lettering the actual selection and the smaller lettering to be a sub-selection (if you will). Personally, if I were to chose listing that sub-selection (and I WOULDN'T), I would put it in the 'Notes' section. But that's MY interpretation. Thanks for the info.

You still entered the artist, as given on the labels, incorrectly. You essentially made up the artist name. Big no no.

PabloPlato
    You still entered the artist, as given on the labels, incorrectly. You essentially made up the artist name. Big no no.

Not even that, he tried to add a artist name as a track title and then to try and justify it and the basis of...well I'm not really sure.
  • prometheusrussell over 9 years ago

garneren
    This guy is not the first seller to come on here thinking Discogs's primary purpose is the marketplace. Perhaps it would be an idea to explain that even more explicitly in the conditions when people register, so we can avoid these rambling tantrums about expenses.

+1,000

I actually don't think this particular user (who is so busy being angry he's not really reading anything other are saying) has cottoned on to the fact he is creating records in a database and not his own sales pages like in ebay.

Clogwhistle:
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with your treatment in the Release History but things have become a little heated in this Forum thread. Let's hope that this can stop now.

Wishful thinking on your part apparently Clog.
    Pablo & Jay, you just justify EVERYTHING I've said previously. Thanks for making my point for me. Peace <><

Iceman107
    Pablo & Jay, you just justify EVERYTHING I've said previously. Thanks for making my point for me. Peace <><

You're more than welcome - keep the submissions coming, I'm very much enjoying your continued presence on this site :)
  • prometheusrussell over 9 years ago

yuhann
    googled it at MY expense

*kudos*

LOL
  • nutbarz over 9 years ago

Images of Labels for "Cub Power" from Quill Records Here. http://keepkey.yochanan.net/quill.htm
  • flipster over 9 years ago

Jayfive
    I'm very much enjoying your continued presence on this site :)

Indeed, good value!

garneren

Definitely a good idea, yet I do think this would solve only part of the problem since more than a few sellers seem to deliberately stay out of the submission process.

Reply from a seller via PM regarding a non-gatefold variant they advertised:

"I've seen many releases where they mention in release notes that non gatefolds are also available with same details, I prefer to stay out of it because submitters can never make up their minds as to what the appropriate way to submit a release is and are constantly changing their minds."

Not sure about the actual reason in this particular case but, as a matter of fact, there's the old gap between those folks who focus on dumping their stock on one hand, and those who are into populating the database with meticulous care to detail on the other. Two opposite worlds it seems.
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 9 years ago

• ChampionJames over 9 years ago

Um, what exactly are we applauding?
  • GustafAronsson over 9 years ago

Diognes_The_Fox
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/013/974/clap.gif

When did this thread turn into an opera and why did I miss it?
  • avalon67 over 9 years ago

GustafAronsson
    When did this thread turn into an opera and why did I miss it?

Too busy laughing at Yukabacera in another thread?
  • Diognes_The_Fox over 9 years ago

It's a pretty exciting thread.

I should give a proper CS-ish response, but, yeah.

There's a learning curve to updating the database. No question about that. It can be hard. There's a lot of esoteric information and rules that are really hard for a lot of new members. I don't think anyone on this website that can honestly say they didn't get moderated heavily on their first few submissions. I certainly did and a lot of you kept me in line in my younger days.

Really, if you're new, the best thing to do, is to check the minimal submission guidelines, do the best you can to get in a simple submission and hopefully take some good pictures to allow other users to help out more easily.

If you're willing to sit down and learn how to work this, I am totally on board to help out. Please feel free to shoot me a message.

Diognes_The_Fox
    Please feel free to shoot me...

There you go Iceman...the offer you have been waiting for.. :)